A typical conference call account includes many features that enhance your conferencing experience: it’s all about making things as easy and productive as possible. One of these tools is the dial-out feature and is standard on all Sky Conferencing accounts. In this post, we will look at how and why this feature is utilized.
What is Dialing Out?
A dial-out is when a telephone call is placed to an individual in order to add them to an ongoing conference call. Usually, participants are asked to join a conference by calling a phone number and entering a special access, or participant code.
A dial-out instead allows the conference host (or an operator) to call the participant and bring him/her into the conference without the need for them to do any work themselves.
There are many scenarios where one would want to dial-out to someone instead of asking them to dial-in manually. Here are some examples:
- During a conference call, you realize that you need the expertise of a particular employee who was not previously invited.
- Industry-specific guidelines require that the person be called directly. For example, the legal industry where judges are to be called out to.
- Basic etiquette: If an important caller is being invited, then dial-out directly to the individual instead of making the person dial-in manually.
- Some callers in certain locations may have restrictions in calling in themselves and may require dialing out instead. For example, hotels or international locations.
How To Dial-Out
To initiate a dial-out to a caller, you can do it in a few ways. We will go over the two most common methods below.
1. Telephone Star Command
Once dialed in to your telephone conference as a moderator/host, you can utilize the star feature to add someone to your telephone call. Follow these steps:
- Press #1 on your touch-tone phone
- Dial the area code and phone number followed by #
- Follow the instructions to complete call
Once participant is reached, you can:
- Press *1 to join participant into conference
- Press *2 to join participant into conference and call another line
- Press *3 to disconnect the dial out line
- Press *4 to disconnect the dial out line and call another line
2. Operator Dial-Out
An operator dial-out allows you to call out to someone and join them into your conference using the 24/7 operator services that come with your account. To have the operator do the dial-out for you, simply press *0 to reach an operator and let them know the name of the caller and the telephone number where they can be reached. That’s it!
The dial-out feature can be a great convenience when on a conference call and can also add an extra level of professionalism. It is but one of the many tools available to you with a Sky audio conferencing account.